Sunday, May 15, 2011

Sunday Starters



One of my favorite childhood toys was a kaleidoscope.  The outside was made of brightly colored cardboard, but the inside was the real mystery.  I remember profound disappointment when I opened one.  I still didn't understand how it worked.  And, of course, it never did work again. Back then,  I was able to replace it by savings two weeks allowance (10 cents total) and making a trip to the aptly named Five & Dime store.  I certainly got a shock the other day when I came across ads for kaleidoscopes that were in the $100 range.  I looked a little more and found some that were meant for children.  These weren't nearly as pricey, but still cost more than I'd want to pay for a cardboard toy.

I wondered how hard it would be to make a kaleidoscope.  "Quite difficult" was my first impression. Directions for children's crafts included 3 pieces of mirrored glass.  Not near our 6 year old's fingers!  Others included several components that would have to be purchased.  How does that help save money? I finally did come up with some instructions that were acceptable and I'm sharing them below.   But in the process, I came up with some other sites that provide a lot of online kaleidoscope fun.

Create A Kaleidoscope

I had lots of fun with this kaleidoscope, from the Childhood section of the Victoria and Albert Museum site, is my favorite. Use the mouse to drag toys into a workspace. The toys are reflected in a virtual kaleidoscope. Color, background and reflection controls add even more variety. Simple enough for a young child to use.



Kaleidoscope Painter

Create a kaleidoscope-like pattern by moving the mouse over the workspace surface. There are options for brush size and one option that just let's you sit back and watch. It's easy enough for children to use - as long as the adult will relinquish the mouse!


For those who like jigsaws, check out the kaleidoscope jigsaws at MyPuzzle.org. You can select the number of puzzle pieces, as few as 16 pieces for the younger puzzle fans.

If you still want to make one by hand, check out this version at Cool Kids Craft Ideas. This one uses materials you probably have at home already. The instructions are clear and even a young child will be able to do most of them. It's got my vote!

See you tomorrow for Monday Mixup.
Linda

0 comments:

Post a Comment